ST.JAMES A.M.E CHURCH
AFRICAN METHODIST EPISCOPAL
TAYLOR - CLARK
WOMEN'S MISSIONARY SOCIETY
St. James A.M.E. Church         1107 E. Oak Street-Denton, Texas 76205        (940) 387-1223
email: sjden@verizon.net 
Rev. Mason Rice Jr
Pastor
SAINT JAMES AFRICAN METHODIST EPISCOPAL CHURCH
Taylor/Clark Women’s Missionary Society

The Women’s Missionary Society at Saint James was originally named for Sis. Phyllis Hall; an outstanding Christian woman of great faith, whose family name is recorded in the church history among the Charter Members who were involved in the organization of St. James.  According to the current membership at Saint James no one could remember the Society having being named for anyone other than Sis. Phyllis Hall.

Sis. Melvina Taylor who has been a member of the Society for more than fifty years is for certain that at the time she became a member of the Society it was named the Phyllis Hall Women’s Missionary Society.

In September 2005 during the time in which Saint James was celebrating 130 years of existence and revisiting her history, our pastor, Rev. Dr. Sherryl Matlock, inquired as to who Sis. Phyllis Hall was.  It was discovered at that time that no one among the current membership of the congregation knew who she was or very much about her other than the fact that the Society was named after her.  Upon discovering this our pastor suggested that we should recognize women who are alive and is doing a mighty work for God and the church through the Society, “thus giving them their flowers while they yet live.”

The task was given to the women who are currently members of the Women’s Missionary Society at Saint James to seek among themselves and identify one or more Christian Women who are worthy of having the Society named in their honor.

The report came back to the pastor and the Official Board that the women had met and unanimously agreed that Sis. Melvina Taylor who has been and still is active and faithful member of the Society for more than fifty years; and Sis. Alma Clark (the current President of the Society) who has been an active and faithful member for more than forty years should be given the honor of having the Society named after them.  Thus it was agreed that the Society name would be changed from the Phyllis Hall Women’s Missionary Society to the Taylor/Clark Women’s Missionary Society.

We thank God for Sis. Melvina Taylor and Sis. Alma Clark, praying women; and women of great faith and Christian character who are still current and active members of the Taylor/Clark Women’s Missionary Society of St. James African Methodist Episcopal Church.